Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SSK: If I didn't know it before...

Boy, do I know it now! I was going through sock withdrawl lately, so I trekked myself down to my Local Yarn Shop to pick up some yarn that I couldn't really afford, but just HAD to have:



So, armed with my new yarn, I surfed over to Ravelry and found a pattern called Smaug, which looked a little like dragon scales. It used the SSK stitch, which I wasn't very good at, but I HAD to have these socks. Fortunately, my recent addiction of podcasts put an episode of the Knit Picks Podcast that addressed it recently. There I learned the trick that if you slip the first stitch as if to knit, then the second as if to purl, then knit them together, it lays much nicer than if you slip both as if to knit. The socks aren't turning out half bad, if I do say so myself:

3 comments:

Troy said...

I can see the dragon scale resemblance! If I squint...

Anonymous said...

That's really cool. I like the pattern alot.

tracy0077 said...

That is a cool pattern. Oooooo...you should totally make me socks for christmas...but not christmas colors. I LOVE socks!